Infant School

'Learning together to make a difference'

New Starter Documents & Checks

If you are successful at interview, you will need to compete the following steps before we can employ you.  The first steps can be done from home, but please read all steps carefully so that you know what is needed at every stage.  Without all of these steps in place we would be unable to employ you.  Thank you


For agency contractors the checks are carried out by your employing agent and we would view evidence of the checks at the point of booking.  On your first day we will check your ID against the ID sent from your agency.

Step 1:  Inform and Check the details of your Professional References

employees  sole trader/ self-employed contractors

As soon as possible you should advise your referees to expect an email from Whybridge Infant School and ask them to respond as soon as possible so as not to delay your start date.  Your referees should both have known you professionally, rather than a family member or friend and an email address is preferred.  They should be the most appropriate person in the organisation (for schools this is nearly always the Head Teacher).  Please contact us if you need to change your reference details in light of this.

Step 2:  Start Your Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Application

employees  sole trader/ self-employed contractors  governors  volunteers

This will check your name against criminal records, the child workforce prohibition list, and could lead to overseas criminal records checks if you have lived/ worked abroad.  Click the link below and enter the log-in details we send you.  Make sure you note down the documents they tell you to bring for verification at the end.

Step 3: Start Your Medical Check


Click the link below and enter the log-in details we send you.  This may lead to an appointment with our occupational health team or a risk assessment.

Step 4:  Complete your New Starter Forms (email to the office or print and bring with you)


employees  sole trader/ self-employed contractors

Pecuniary interests form

volunteers  governors

We Will Send You an Appointment for the Next Steps...

Please let us know once you have completed all of the above steps.  Then wait!  We will contact you once we are ready to proceed with the next steps.

Step 5:  Verify Your ID with us in person

employees  sole trader/ self-employed contractors  governors  volunteers

You will need to bring at least three documents which between them confirm:

  • Photographic ID (such as a passport, driving license etc)
  • Evidence of your current official full name on an official document (passport, drivers license, marriage certificate, deed poll etc.)
  • Evidence of your DOB on an official document (such as a birth certificate, passport, driver license)
  • Evidence of your address on a trusted document in your name (such as a driving license, utility bill or bank statement in the last three months, recent government letter)
  • Evidence of your National Insurance Number on an official government document (not a payslip)

Step 6:  Verify Your Right to Work in the UK and Employment Status in person

employees  sole trader/ self-employed contractors

We will use the government checker below to verify this with you.  You may wish to do this at home first so that you know what questions you will be asked and what documents we will need to see.  For self-employed contractors we need to check your employment status for the purposes of tax burden responsibility before we can engage you.

sole trader/ self-employed contractors

If you are deemed by HMRC to be our tax responsibility (all employees are) then you will need to provide us with your P45 or the Tax starter checklist in step 4.

Step 7:  Verify Your Submitted DBS Data in person

employees  sole trader/ self-employed contractors  governors  volunteers

We will need to see the documents you were told to bring when you started this check.  We need to see the original, current or recent documents (not copies) in person at the appointment we give you.  Three documents will be needed from trusted organisations such as government agencies/ banks/ councils/ utility providers etc.  Between them we must be able to verify your photo, name, DOB, address.  It is better to bring too much rather than too little as the computer will say 'yes or no' to the relevant combination.


You will then receive your certificate in the post to your home address.  Once you have received it you must bring the original certificate in for us to see before you can start work.

Step 8:  Verify Your Professional Qualifications and Record in person


    • You will need to bring any documentary evidence of qualifications required for the role (if any) such as certificates and transcripts

    sole trader/ self-employed contractors

    • You will need to bring portfolio evidence of your work such as testimonials/ photographs etc
    • evidence of relevant trade body memberships/ required registrations or licenses
    • professional qualifications/ training undertaken
    • relevant liability insurances
    • your own safeguarding policy including safer recruitment processes

    teachers/ ex teachers

    • You will need to provide evidence of your teacher registration number  and we will carry out teacher prohibition checks

    leadership staff  governors

    • We will carry out management prohibition checks as appropriate to the role

    Step 9:  Clarify Your References

    Employees  Sole trader/ self-employed contractors

    We will discuss with you the references that we have received if we have any areas of concern or any missing/ inappropriate references received (such as those from friends or family or a non-business address) and any further action required.

    Step 10:  Discuss Your Medical Report


    We will discuss with you any disability needs or areas highlighted from your medical check if necessary to ensure that you are safely able to carry out your duties.

    Step 11:  Sign any relevant documents

    • Application form
    • New starter/ contact details forms
    • Job description
    • Any relevant declarations, working procedures or risk assessments


    If you will be using your vehicle for business purposes (driving between work sites during the day, not just travelling to and from work) then we will also need to check your driving license and driver's insurance.